How to tidy this dataset? Tidying for Starters =)

Wie rufe ich R-Funktionen auf, wie selektiere ich Daten, ich weiß nicht genau ....

Moderatoren: EDi, jogo

Antworten
NewDaniel

How to tidy this dataset? Tidying for Starters =)

Beitrag von NewDaniel »

Hello, Community,

i' m confronted with an issue and i hope someone can help me out. I'm creating an own dataset, which includes data about competency Models (Release, Name, Version, etc). I want my dataset to be tidy according to Wickham's definition. My issue is the following:
To me, i think the observation unit is the Competency Model. However if this is the case, this dataset is not tidy, because the observation is scattered accros rows and to my knowledge this violates the tidy data structure. This happens, because there is not one kind of user, there are several. How can i fix this Problem? If you have an idea, please let me know =)

Here, you can see a screenshot of my dataset
Unbenannt.JPG
student

Re: How to tidy this dataset? Tidying for Starters =)

Beitrag von student »

Hallo Daniel,

es gibt bestimmt den einen oder anderen Forum-Besucher, der mit
I want my dataset to be tidy according to Wickham's definition.
nicht viel anfangen kann. Vielleicht kannst kannst Du die Definition beschreiben?

Und auch das, was Du erreichen möchtest?
Viele Grüße,
Student
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
faes.de, Datenanalyse mit R & das Ad-Oculos-Projekt
Das Ad-Oculos-Projekt auf YouTube

Habe Mut, dich deines eigenen Verstandes zu bedienen! (Kant)
bigben

Beitrag von bigben »

Hi NewDaniel,

according to Hadley
Every value belongs to a variable and an observation. A variable contains all values that measure the same underlying attribute (like height, temperature, duration) across units. An observation contains all values measured on the same unit (like a person, or a day, or a race) across attributes.
(https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages ... -data.html)

From your brief description I don't understand the data set from your description enough to see, what the observations are, what your actual problem is. You may want to explain in more detail, what is described/summarized by this data set. Personally I believe your data structure should be driven by what investigation of the data you plan to do rather then the definition of some guru. As I have no understanding of the data and what one may want to do with it, I cannot make use of that aspect.

Cheers,
Bernhard
---
Programmiere stets so, dass die Maxime Deines Programmierstils Grundlage allgemeiner Gesetzgebung sein könnte
NewDaniel

Beitrag von NewDaniel »

Sure, my Problem is, that i want to store meta-data and general data about competency models. Every Competency Model has a name, release date, a version, a creator and so on. So in this case the observation unit would be the model, yes? However, every model has its intended audience (like HR professionals, curriculum Designers etc). But if i want to store this fact, i think the observation unit is something like "the use" of the competency model. Because i "observe" more than one fact for every observation, i have in the case above 3 rows for one observation, at least this is what i think.

So i wonder if i have to observation units in my dataset. So my Problem is actually, how can i figure out what the observation UNIT is. Sure, often it is obvious, to me at least in this case, it is not. So i actually would remove the colomn user and make a new table with the coloumn ID Model_N and User
Antworten